House vs Techno vs Trance Music – What are the Differences?
House, Techno, and Trance music are often mistaken or confused with each other. Here are some broad comparisons between them:
House music is relatively slower, more melodic and upbeat, with its roots in disco.
Techno is faster, ‘colder’ and ‘machine-like’, with a focus on rhythm and futuristic sounds.
Trance, an offshoot of European techno, features repetitive motifs and catchy melodies with a psychedelic edge.
What is House Music?
House music is a form of dance music that originated in the underground clubs of Chicago in the 1980s. The genre came up as DJs experimented with mixing and altering older disco and soul records to give them deeper basslines and more mechanical, pulsating rhythms.
What is Techno Music?
While Chicago takes the credit for birthing House music, Techno came up in the clubs of Detroit. Though the term ‘techno’ was first used to describe the electronic music of the time in Germany, it came to be associated with the Detroit electronic sound following the music’s popularity in Europe.
In contrast to House music, Techno is a faster, more mechanical, and futuristic sound, deliberately rejecting Motown and soul influences in favor of unconventional structures and timbres.
What is Trance Music?
Trance music is an electronic music subgenre derived from the British new-age music scene and German Techno music.
It is characterized by repetitive hooks and a strong focus on buildups and subsequent ‘drops’.
The music is associated with psychedelic music cultures and the rave scenes, where the listener goes into an ecstatic and hypnotic ‘trance’.
It can be said to draw from both House and Techno music, embracing fast pulsating rhythms but with a far more melodic and commercial approach with an emphasis on varying dynamics.
1) LTN & Christina Novelli – I’d Go Back (Dave Neven Extended Remix)
2) Talla 2XLC feat. Clara Yates – Back To Life (Original Mix)
3) Ciaran McAuley & Susana – Daring To Love (Extended Mix)
4) Natalie Gioia feat. Ultimate & Moonsouls – Frozen (Original Mix)
5) Rene Ablaze feat Tiff Lacey – Nebula (Extended Mix)
6) Craig Connelly & Siskin – All for Love (Giuseppe Ottaviani Extended Remix)
7) Aviell & Alternoize DJ feat. Lokka Vox – Dreamdust (Extended Trance Dust Mix)
8) Allure & Julie Thompson – Somewhere Inside (Bogdan Vix & Claudiu Adam Extended Remix)
9) Jase Thirlwall feat. Victoriya – Drowning (Extended Mix)
10) BT & Emma Hewitt – No Warning Lights (Sean Tyas Extended Remix)
11) Metta & Glyde & iIMi – You’re In My Orbit (Extended Mix)
*This podcast is made for promotional purposes only. All rights reserved for the songs in this podcast belong to Record Label and / or Producers.